Lessons for Lawyers from the History Books
This seminar has already taken place!
Who said CLE has to be excruciatingly boring? Earn 6 hours of CLE credit and gain practical tips on improving your basic lawyering skills -- all in the context of intensely interesting lessons from the history books!
Professor and long-time attorney Billy Newman weaves fascinating true tales from history and then uses them to illustrate practical skills needed by every practicing lawyer.
- Learn about the true story of Tombstone heroes Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday (supplemented with great clips from the classic 1993 movie!). Then explore how this story, including the real-life trial of Earp and Holliday, offers important lessons on some often overlooked rules of ethics for laywers.
- Venture back to the 1500's and learn how the life and trial of Sir Walter Raleigh still impact our everyday use of hearsay rules in the courtroom.
- Experience a vivid illustration of qualifying an expert witness by re-visiting the Lindbergh kidnapping trial.
- Gain valuable -- and extremely practical -- lessons in lawyering from many of our past Presidents, including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madision, Franklin Pierce, Woodrow Wilson, and Harry Truman.
- Pick up useful tips on jury communication by exploring the courtroom exploits of Clarence Darrw in the Scopes Monkey Trial.
- Learn what valuable lessons can be gleaned from the fascinating trials of Socrates, Jesus Christ, and the alleged Lincoln assassination co-conspirators.
Agenda for Wednesday, the 19th of December 2018
8:30 am Central Time - Webcast Begins (Please register and sign into the website at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start)
(Agenda is approximate and tentative)
8:30am - 9:30am - Tombstone CLE: The Trial of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday - Lessons in the Lawyer's Duty of Diligence (includes clips from the hit movie)
9:35am - 10:00am - The Lindbergh Kidnapping Trial: An Illustration of the Art and Law of Qualifying an Expert Witness
10:00am - 10:35am - Sir Walter Raleigh: Gaining a Better Mastery of the Rules of Evidence
10:45am - 11:15pm - From the Law Office to the Oval Office, Part 1: Lessons for Lawyers from Past Presidents on time management and professional competence
11:15am - 12:15pm - From the Law Office to the Oval Office, Part 2: Lessons for Lawyers from Past Presidents on the mental health challenges of law practice, including the skyrocketing rate of substance abuse
12:15pm - 1:30pm - Break
1:30pm - 2:45pm - Clarence Darrow at the Scopes Monkey Trial, and Beyond: Tips for Better Communicating with Jurors
3:00pm - 3:15pm - The Trials of Socrates and Jesus Christ: Quick Pointers for Litigators
3:15pm - 4:15pm - The Evolution of the Ethical Duty of Zealous Advocacy: The Lawyers in the Lincoln Assassination Trials Provide a Textbook Example
Due to technical requirements, customers must attend a live webcast in its entirety to receive credit for attendance. No partial credit can be accommodated.